We respect your right to privacy and aim to ensure that we are fair and transparent when collecting and using the personal information you have provided to us.
This Privacy Notice (or “Notice”) applies to our website visitors and customers. It explains what personal data we collect, how we use it and provides additional information to comply with our obligations under the POPI Act.
Who is the Responsible Party of my data?
Vergelegen Wines (Pty) (Ltd)
Lourensford Road, Somerset West, Western Cape, 7130, South Africa
What are the purposes for which we use your data and on what legal basis do we do that?
We will only collect, use and share your personal data where we are satisfied that we have an appropriate legal basis to do this. This may be because:
- we need to use your personal data to perform a contract or take steps to enter into a contract with you;
- to allow you to book a reservation at our restaurants or the wine tasting centre
- to process payments for our services and to deliver orders to you
- we need to use your personal data for our legitimate interest as a commercial organisation. In all such cases, we will look after your information at all times in a way that is proportionate and respects your privacy rights and you have a right to object to processing as explained in the section called, “Your Rights” below; and/or
- to respond to your queries, feedback and complaints
- to maintain a customer database
- to allow you to register an account on our website
- to improve your experience on our website
- to gain behavioural insight to give you personalised recommendations/targeted advertising
- to identify our website visitors for authentication
- We have your consent to using your personal data for a particular activity.
- to provide you with promotional material and inform you of competitions if you have opted-in to receive this information
- to inform you of similar products after you have placed an order with us
What personal information will we collect?
We collect the following personal information from you:
- your full name
- shipping address
- payment details
- order details
- contact number
- email address
- details of enquiry
- product(s) preference
- customer ID
- time spent on our Website
- search queries submissions
- social media handles
- cookies and web beacons
- log-in and device information
- opt-in consent for marketing
- booking and reservation details
The POPI Act makes a distinction between ‘personal data’ and ‘sensitive personal data’ (or special category data). When making a reservation with us you may inform us of any dietary requirements, food allergies, or disability access requirements that you or others in your party may have. This will fall under ‘health and medical data’. In providing this information to help us plan your visit you consent to us using it.
Where do you get my personal information from?
We collect and receive personal information about you in the following ways:
Personal Information you give us:
This includes any personal information that you provide to us directly, whether through our website or via phone, text messages, social media or any other medium. This may include personal information you give to us by:
- filling in forms on our Social Media accounts or our Website (hereafter referred to as Platforms);
- when you register on our Platforms or subscribe to use services on our Platforms;
- when you enter a competition, promotion or complete a survey;
- by posting comments or content on our Platforms;
- when you purchase one of our products or services;
- when you contact us and when you otherwise provide information directly to us.
Personal Information we collect or receive when you use our Platforms, products or services:
We collect personal information when you use our Platforms or services, or buy products from us by using cookies and web beacons. This may reveal log-in information, device information and search queries submissions. We receive this when you:
- access our Platforms (this reveals the type of device you’re using, your browser or operating system and your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address);
- interact with our Platforms and other services, view content and submit search queries.
Information from third-party sources:
We may receive additional information about you that is publicly or commercially available and combine that with the information we have collected or received about you in other ways. We may also receive information about you when you choose to connect with social networking services while using our Platforms.
Some types of personal data are required as condition for using our services. Mandatory information includes personal data required for processing payments and delivering orders. Failure to provide this mandatory information will mean that you will be unable to place an order with us.
How do we share the personal information we collect?
We may share your personal information with third parties in order to:
- to provide efficient services
- comply with applicable law or with legal court orders
- to protect and defend the rights or property of our company
- recover debts and liaise with our attorneys in connection with any potential, threatened or actual litigation
- audit our accounts;
- restructure or sell any of our businesses or assets
We share personal information with the following suppliers:
|Website hosting and support||RHI Digital & Creative|
|Website content management||WordPress|
|Website Analytics||Google Analytics|
|Payment Gateway||PayGate (DPO Group)|
|Booking and reservations partner||Dineplan|
|Social Networking Services||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube|
We are committed to protecting the security of the personal data you share with us. We use a variety of technical and organisational methods to secure your personal data in accordance with applicable laws.
Our website is hosted in South Africa. However, some personal data is transferred to different jurisdictions whose privacy laws may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. We use adequate safeguards to ensure that the level of protection for international transfers meets the requirements of the POPI Act and / or GDPR.
Right to access
You have the right to request access to any of your personal information that we hold.
Right to rectification and deletion
You have the right to request correction of any inaccurate data relating to you. You have the right to request that we delete your personal information under certain circumstances: if it is inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, out-of-date, incomplete, misleading or has been obtained unlawfully.
Right to withdraw consent
Where we have relied on your consent to process particular information and you have provided us with your consent to process data, you have the right to withdraw such consent at any time.
Right to object to processing justified on legitimate interest grounds
Where we are relying upon legitimate interest to process data, then you have the right to object to that processing. If you object, we must stop that processing unless we can either demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing that override your interests, rights and freedoms or where we need to process the data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where we rely upon legitimate interest as a basis for processing we believe that we can demonstrate such compelling legitimate grounds, but we will consider each case on an individual basis.
Right to lodge a compliant
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the South Africa Information Regulator if you consider that the processing of your personal data infringes applicable law.
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
316 Thabo Sehume Street,
T +27 12 406 4818
F +27 86 500 3351
We ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us before contacting any supervisory authority. For further information regarding your rights, or to exercise any of your rights, please contact [email protected].